Jonathan French Sr.’s sermons have survived, but they are somewhat hard to find. Here, in the form of some admittedly poor reproductions, are six.
[The titles below are clickable hyperlinks, and will take you to PDFs of the actual texts.–LSL]
THE PUBLISHED WORKS OF JONATHAN FRENCH, SR. (1740-1809, Father)
- A practical discourse against extortion, from Ezekiel XXII, 12. Delivered at a lecture in the South Parish in Andover, January 1, 1777. Published at the desire of the hearers.
- A sermon preached before His Excellency Samuel Adams, Esq. governour; His Honor Moses Gill, lieutenant-governour; the Honourable the Council, Senate, … Commonwealth of Massachusetts, May 25, 1796.
- A sermon delivered on the anniversary thanksgiving November 29, 1798: with some additions in the historical part.
- A sermon, preached at the ordination of the Reverend James Kendall, over the First Church and Congregation in Plymouth, January 1, 1800.
- A sermon preached at the ordination of the Rev. Jonathan French, Jun.: over the church and congregation in Northampton, in Newhampshire [sic], November 18, 1801.
- A discourse delivered at an evening lecture, in the South Meetinghouse, in Portsmouth, N.H. 21 July, 1805: it being the evening succeeding the session … of the Reverend Timothy Alden, Junior.
- A sermon, preached September 23, 1772, at the ordination of the Reverend Jonathan French, to the pastoral charge of the Second Church of Christ in … Pastor of the Second Church in Braintree. by Weld, Ezra [Not a sermon by French, but rather the sermon preached by Ezra Weld at French’s ordination. Included because, well, just because… –LSL]
- A Collection of American Epitaphs and Inscriptions, Vol. 2: With Occasional Notes; Pentade I. by Alden, Timothy [Also not a sermon by French, but this is THE Alden bio of French, the one I used for the previous post, just in a different volume.–LSL]